Keeping it Real

Keeping it Real
My Bunch

Monday, August 15, 2011

When Death Becomes Us....

 When I thought of doing an entry on death I was a bit worried that it would seem like such a downer to read. The strange thing is that no matter what I was doing laundry, cleaning, back to school shopping the thought & pull would NOT leave me.

 So here I sit, ready to lay it all out in hopes of feeling a sense of peace and possibly offering a new hope to others.

Most of us have heard the song at least once (country fan or not) "Live like you were dying" by Tim Macraw. The song is an anthem for a way of life we should all embrace, yet we hear the words and fill uplifted for a moment and then get on back with the task at hand.

We all have encountered or even suffered loss so why then do we all seem so awe struck when it comes our way? I'm not suggesting we  are ever really prepared to say goodbye nor are we to live in the depths of dispair and sadness for a certain amount of time. Actually what I'm thinking is the opposite.

 Let me explain... Recently my HS class president passed away  it was unexpected and while I don't know all the details, I know that he will be missed. He was newly engaged to his HS sweetheart (they reconnected) and was planning a life with her& her 2 kids whom 2 1/2 years ago loss their father to death. So not only did she say goodbye to one love in her life but two & the same for her kids.
At the end of one of her messages, thanking friends for support, she put.."God is still good". That is real faith my friends & strengh too. I think that truly comes from knowing, loving, & trusting God even through the pain and storm of life.

Just like the stories of 9/11 encompassed us and we heard of one person stopping for a band aid or one not going to work that day. We were left thinking why some & not others or why now?

 In the end (literally) I believe that God wants for us to realize like the June bug that in one second slams into a window to it's death. WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL! What a gift of freedom if we could actually live like we were dying. We would be kinder, worry less & not take our children, spouses, friends & family for granted. The way we spend our time would change, battles we pick & the harsh words or pointless gossip about being "right" would matter no more. Taking care of ourselves as if  we are going to live until we are 100 would still matter, but... maybe that piece of chocolate cake we just "shouldn't" eat we would enjoy with more plessure and less guilt!

In one week I knew of a young women becoming a widow for the second time, a friend saying goodbye to a grandpa who was "ready to see his wife" another friend who is facing illness in a parent. I was in the room when my dad passed and remember the phone call when my Memaw passed, seems like just yesterday. I still miss them both a little every day. No my friends; we can not control when we say goodbye, but we can trust that God is GOOD & start living like this is it. Because it is, moment to moment your life is now.

So much more awaits us and although I miss those who have left us now. I know they are in no pain and are truly "living"  in heaven with our Father now. Always harder on those of us left behind.. So I encourage you to honor them by LIVING & embracing your life now! Because life is a gift & death will become us all.

Keeping it Real & from my heart!
T.

No comments:

Post a Comment