I don't do artificial sweeteners of any kind not splenda, not aspartame and not people. Yes, I said people. Throughout my life I have noticed this about me. I get migraines from both! A food diary helped me realize the allergy to artificial sweeteners and turning 40 and lots of heartache helped me see the other. I enjoy people don't get me wrong. It's just the artificial sweet to your face, but never quite have your back or like you anyway people, I can't do anymore. I have come to realize that not everyone can be real nor can they stop & find out who they are and what it is they are about. Taking time to step away, listen and be alone with one’s self is not selfish but necessary.
I have always been one to ask questions and push for answers, not everyone likes that. I was recently "blacked balled" from the PTA because of this. I only wish I was kidding! I had an idea ran with it, got the Principal & several other home room mom's excited & on board with it. Only to get a call from an "Artificial Sweetener" telling me I can't do this & I can't do that. I was met with a lot of "Oh Tracie you know that can't work" and when exactly did you speak to the principal? Why did you have to be the one to do all this? I told her I volunteered and believe that we can all be the change we want to see. Needless to say she didn't like that.
The next day I got a call from the principal apologizing that she felt it best that we not do the idea because the "artificial sweetener" had convinced her it wasn't a good idea. I cried. Then picked my real self up and prayed. I prayed for the strength to deal with this unnecessary problem with grace & dignity, while being true to myself. In the past, in my younger days I would have been devastated that maybe I wasn't liked or my idea wasn’t that good or I would have keep pushing and exhausted myself at trying to win or prove myself.
Not anymore. I realize now that picking your battles sometimes means knowing when to walk away. That is what I did. I resigned from all duties regarding the PTA & party planning. I spoke to the principal and the 4th grade teachers and told them my decision has nothing to do with them or the faculty. While we are new to the school and I am happy to help in any other way, I don't feel it healthy or best for myself or family to continue serving in the Pta. I also stated that as a first impression of their Pta is was not a good one. Then I walked away.
May seem extreme, but let’s face it, life is too short and who has the energy to waste on people who don't want things to change? Maybe because of their own insecurities or because it wasn't there idea! Not me, no thanks I have taken the time to know who I am, what I believe and what is important to me. I put this out here so if you are encountering your own versions of "artificial sweeteners" you can think about how nothing is a nice as the Real thing.
Be pure and real with yourself and your life will belong to you! It may take some time like keeping the food diary and sometimes you may feel alone. Don't give up!!
Just like real sugar..your relationships with people will be more organic and you are being true to yourself. No more migraines and no more drama!! My favorite quote sums it up...
Trace, that sucks. I can't believe that happened to you. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is such a reminder to all of us! So sorry that you had to go through all the drama! Pray that the "artificial sweetener" realizes what a wonderful, strong, caring volunteer she has lost! God Bless you Tracie!!! You are one amazing woman!
ReplyDeleteInspiring. Thanks for the reminder to always keep it real. Unfortunate that those kids missed out on what I am sure was a FABULOUS idea! BTW, you are a great writer. Essy
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story, Tracie! I'm sorry that happened to you but I'm glad that you are the "real thing" and staying strong to your beliefs.
ReplyDeleteLove your blog & playlist! Keep on keepin' it real!
Great post, girl. Very well said!
ReplyDelete